NeighborWorks Northeastern Pennsylvania (NWNEPA) seeks an outstanding individual to provide a year of service, beginning August 27, 2018, through AmeriCorps VISTA (Volunteers in Service to America). NWNEPA is a nonprofit organization that revitalizes neighborhoods and creates opportunities for individuals and families to improve their lives through quality housing and financial guidance.
About the Position
The VISTA Member will be primarily responsible for expanding NWNEPA’s existing home repair and rehabilitation programs, creating a system for recruiting and managing volunteers, and developing a neighborhood revitalization plan for West Scranton. The VISTA Member will also coordinate vacant lot cleanups and other volunteer projects. To accomplish these goals, the VISTA Member will:
- Recruit and coordinate volunteers from local colleges, businesses, and community groups.
- Develop a volunteer outreach strategy, training materials, database, and recognition events.
- Manage home rehabilitation projects, including creating scopes of work, developing budgets, and coordinating the work of contractors and volunteers.
- Search for potential properties for redevelopment and conduct initial assessments.
- Reach out to community stakeholders and solicit their input through surveys and other methods.
- Conduct research, analyze the results, and present the data.
- Facilitate neighborhood revitalization planning meetings.
- Identify sources of grant funding for projects, and assist with grant writing and reporting.
This position requires a commitment to serve as a full-time employee of NWNEPA for a full year. A living allowance, education award, training, and other benefits are provided. Visit the AmeriCorps VISTA website for more information about the program.
- Responsible, self-motivated, and able to handle multiple on-going projects
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Basic computer skills, including proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Valid driver’s license and privately owned vehicle for service-related travel
- Bachelor’s degree preferred, but not required
- Strong interest in housing, community development, and nonprofit management preferred
How to Apply
Send a cover letter and resume to Todd Pousley, Community Revitalization Manager, at email@example.com. Applications will be accepted until May 28, 2018, or until the position is filled.