Purchasing a home is typically one of the most significant investments an individual or family can make during their lifetime. Due to an always-changing financing environment and local housing market, NWNEPA recommends that you receive homebuyer education if you plan to purchase a home within the next six months. We make sure prospective buyers are equipped with the knowledge and skills to become successful, responsible homeowners by offering two ways to get all the information you need:
NWNEPA offers informative workshops multiple times each year. By attending these workshops, prospective buyers can:
- Participate in discussions led by local housing-industry professionals, including: lenders, Realtors, property inspectors, insurance agents, homeownership specialists and others with whom you will come into contact with during your home-buying process
- Receive information on how to avoid predatory lending
- Participate in a question-and-answer session with an attorney specializing in residential real-estate transactions
- Have the opportunity to interact with other homebuyers
Please stay tuned for details on 2017 workshops.
NWNEPA offers this interactive online course in partnership with eHome America for prospective homebuyers who want the convenience of completing the homebuyer education course at their own pace.Who should take this course?
- First-time homebuyers
- Borrowers who need a homebuyer education certificate to qualify for a loan or assistance program
- Individuals looking to become more educated about homeownership
- Homebuyers working with local housing counselors
Key Features of eHome America’s online course:
- Complete at your own pace
- Animated videos covering all materials
- Easy-to-read content with highlighted keywords
- Quizzes throughout course to ensure understanding
- Instant access to local homeownership counselor
To personalize the homebuyer education experience either before or after completing the online course, NWNEPA recommends that prospective homebuyers schedule an appointment with a homeownership specialist to discuss available assistance programs and to review your budget, credit reports and other information relevant to your home purchasing process. Please note: NWNEPA will not be able to award a homebuyer education certificate without a brief individual (either in-person or over the phone) counseling session to obtain your information and to provide you with tips for buying a home in the local market.